Monday 16 December 2013

A Reflection of Differentiation in Coaching to Teaching

As I was preparing for my rowing coaching practice, I was able to reflect on how the design of my workouts differentiates for each athlete's abilities.

In the winter, I coach every member of the Regina Rowing Club on the Concept 2 rowing ergometer. This is different from the "on water season", where the group I coach becomes more specialized as athletes approach their focus competition. 

One workout I use is called an Accuracy Workout. This involves each individual pulling as accurately as possible, a pace relevant to their best all-out pace. With this particular workout, all athletes, from the biggest and strongest, to new, young or old, and inexperienced participants, are all on the same level, since everyone has the goal of being close to their own individual pace.



This workout is further differentiated, where new participants will do technical practice, and then complete 1 x 5000m instead of 2 x 5000m. Also, when rowers are particularly young, I have them complete 2 x 4000m instead, so they can finish at a similar time with everyone else.

This particular workout has made me think about how I will differentiate based on varying abilities in the classroom, be it reading/writing, mathematics, or physical/social differences. While no classroom and differentiation are the same, leading a classroom where all students feel included, and are challenged and excited to learn at their level, I think will be one of the most important challenges in my teaching career. Finding the "Art and Science" of this differentiation is something I will try my best to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I like your ideas here. Great to be able to the things you're familiar with and care about and tie them to learning.

    ReplyDelete