Tuesday 21 January 2014

More Thoughts on Seeking Failure: My New Approach to Goal-Setting

This TED talk by Adam Kreek has inspired me to change the approach I take with the athletes I coach in regards to goal-setting.

While I still use SMART goals, in different contexts I invite the rowers to "seek failure". During our winter training, I have them pick a goal for a workout distance that they do not think they can accomplish, and attempt to attain it. The vast majority of these rowers are now tending to improve at an increased, bigger rate with this approach. I believe, this is because they are no longer having a self-imposed capacity on their ability.

I am intrigued to use this approach in teaching. I think that by students seeking understanding beyond the limits of right or wrong, and encouraging further in depth discovery, is in a way, "seeking failure". If a student believes, but seeks, more in depth understanding in an infinite way, what are the possibilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment