Tuesday 1 October 2013

Solving my Personal Mystery of Pinterest as an Education Tool

Last year early my during internship, I heard my co-op teacher speak about ideas that she had and shared on Pinterest. I was curious, so I set up an account , however as you can see I did not initially understand how to use Pinterest, and how to get "Pins" to share with others.

Once an account is set up, in the top left hand corner there is a search bar, along with a drop down menu with a variety of categories, including education. Here, there seems to be infinite resources available, however because of how general the topic of 'education', searching a more specific search in within education is helpful.

For example, one area where I have observed teachers use ideas from Pinterest is for use is for classroom set-up. By typing in the search bar classroom, other searches are prompted, including classroom organizing. My search eventually became specific to classroom organizing middle school . From here, you will see a large variety of innovative ideas that can be used for classroom organization and set-up. From this page, I found the 'pin' at the end of this article that I would consider using in my classroom one day.

Pinterest is a form of social media, and as such, its power is in sharing ideas. I decided to 'pin' this on a board I titled: "Education ideas". It is also encouraged to follow other Pinterest users with similar interests. It is also possible to share pins through Twitter and Facebook.

I think Pinterest is a valuable tool for teachers, since it provides valuable visual images of ideas that teachers can use in their own practice. From what I hear, Pinterest can also be quite the procrastination tool, so be sure to utilize it for a specific purpose in planning as a teacher.

Great Classroom Management Techniques for Middle School

6 comments:

  1. I like what Scott Mcleod has done with Pinterest in this respect. See: http://www.pinterest.com/scottmcleod/slides/ ... these are reusable slides with quotes, and he's curated them nicely on this board. I find Pinterest a bit awkward to use, but I know many teachers are using it really well. I've tweeted this post out (as you will surely see), and hopefully, someone else will bring insight to your post and see where Pinterest is being used in Education.

    Btw, Scott McLeod is @mcleod on Twitter and worth a follow. Great guy, great mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest is great! I use it a lot for craft and baking ideas for my special education class, among other things.
    My students have participated in a Pinterest Project with a mainstream grade 10 class. The mainstream students were mentors and taught my students to use Pinterest (and navigate the computer) and my students were responsible for creating boards for the hygiene and work experience courses. It was a great tool to aid in building a learning community for all students.
    The ECI 831 course (Alec's grad class) has started a Techy Teacher board. Students in the class have joined and are creating a board. Anything techy can be pinned for everyone to see. There are a variety of topics and tools, some just for fun and others are great resources.
    And yes, Pinterest is a great way to procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I participated in a group project using Pinterest for teaching and learning - and wrote a blog post about it. Check it out if you like! http://rrucatherinenovak.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/using-pinterest-to-think-visually-and-academically/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Garett: I think there is also a potential for Pinterest as a business tool. It can help you to market yourself and also suggest the way that you think, create, organize and present yourself as a professional. Good for your teacher offering a Pinterest assignment - I did the same thing for my on line students this past summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I did not fully understand the potential of Pinterest initially. I now use it for specific searches, and I even remember to pin things at times. Most recently I used it to find some fantastic ideas for my unit on digestion.

    Have you searched for rowing pins, or added any of your owsN? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Garett, I think you need to save to specific boards rather than save everything to the one generic board - that way you are more likely to locate a saved pin when you need to refer back to it. I have used Delicious for years and sorted web links by tags but I really like the visual element of Pinterest and think this speeds up the search too. Check out my Pinterest boards at http://www.pinterest.com/kristynpaul/ You might also get some useful ideas from TeachThought: 37 Ways Teachers Can Use Pinterest In The Classroom - http://www.teachthought.com/social-media/37-ways-teachers-can-use-pinterest-in-the-classroom/

    ReplyDelete